PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Daylight Dweller: Danielle of the Sea

A Parallel Planets piece by Unknown

Parallel Planets presents 
Daylight Dweller: Danielle of the Sea
Story, Interview and Photographs by Banawe Corvera
Illustrations by Danielle Sy

* * *

The day I met up with Danielle Sea (Sy) to take her portraits was the first time we've had a proper conversation. We exhibited together twice but never got around to talking at length. One fine afternoon, I took her to my comfort zone for a rendezvous and we started exchanging stories. Not of the interview kind, I tell you, as it was reserved for the exchange of electronic love letters later that week.

I chose Danielle as a subject because at one point in my life, I wanted to love drawing and painting the same way that I'm drawn to capturing visuals through stills at present time. Unknowingly, my frustrations did lead me to photography, and those would-be paintings are now seen as photographic imprints.

This is for the days of our art-filled childhood and kindred spirits in another dimension. Of wanting to pursue a fascination and ending up loving art just the same - only, given a different format. 


-


Danielle is every bit as quirky with her comeback illustrations as she is tender with her soft, watercolor strokes. Her gallery leaves a trail for a treasure hunt. There's the occasional Hello from her typographic scribbles done by hand, floral patterns and most especially, paintings and illustrations of pastel colored women. 

Now, the artist is present. Who is she?


Who is Danielle Sy?



Danielle Sy was born in a capital city and grew up in a town with Tamaraws and fishfarms.

Living and studying in Cebu City, she has chosen her love for drawing as a way of life because she can't do anything else. Despite spending half of her life near and in the sea, she can only float on water. 

When did you start drawing/painting, and what prompted you to explore the said creative pursuit?

Some habits die hard I guess. I've been drawing since I could remember, childish doodles on paper or whatever kind of surface I could put a mark on (my grandparents' walls can attest to that). I've never really thought about why I continued, but what I do know is that creating something satisfies something in me, whatever it is.




What's the most memorable work you've done so far? It could be something that hits close to home, or something that turned out surprisingly beyond your expectations.


I have never forgotten the horse I drew when I was in kindergarten. It's a simple and a funny looking horse.


I don't see horses every day, so I had a limited and blurry picture of what it looked like. I think that horse made me want to be better and so here I am.

Artists derive their inspiration from anywhere. Do you personally seek for it, or does the idea present itself in the most random ways? How so?

I try to look at things weirdly, or at times directly on its face. I see things as it is. There are times when I just want to draw for hours, into the night, only stopping when my hands can't make a line anymore, and other days it's just the opposite. Inspiration is everywhere, it depends if you accept and do something about it or keep it in your pocket.



What's your advise to young artists?

Sometimes you just want to be like James Jean, Sagmeister or Yuko Shimizu and everyone you find amazing, but let's face it. You can't be them because you have to be yourself, and to be like these great artists and designers, you gotta work hard, experiment, experience life.. and then draw some more.

The sketchbook is a portal to a world where anything can happen.


There are people who long for the sea like a lover. Some photographs romanticize the sea as a poetic subject. Do you have any particular liking or attraction towards its concept? If yes, in what ways?

The sea is vast, and mysterious. It's always a surprise when it brings something to the surface. I wonder, could I do that too?



More from Danielle Sea: InstagramTumblr 


0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.