PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


November Nocturne: At Night

A Parallel Planets piece by Unknown

Parallel Planets presents
November Nocturne: At Night
Story and Poetry by Joy Celine Asto
Film Photography by Nadia Maria

Mentioned: stargazing, sleepless nights, love stories, and the witching hour

* * *

I have always been a night person. It's when my mind is at its most active, playful, creative, and productive. I know my fellow night owls will agree that there's something about the stillness and quiet of the night that lets the mind just run free and do its thing. Writing has been a big part of my life and most of it I've done in the dead of the night. Writing poetry is something I've never been good at, so I eventually stopped trying. But, for some reason, the Muses have been kind and the verses are starting to come back -- at the ungodliest of hours. At Night, for example, came to me effortlessly one sleepless night -- in the wee hours of the morning, actually. I tried writing The Witching Hour one afternoon, but I guess with a title (and subject) like that, the ideas -- and the proper state of mind -- won't come until 3 a.m. Star Mapping is a scenario borne out of a seaside star-gazing session that lasted until around 1 a.m., while At Night (Reprise) is a love letter of sorts for everyone who shares this fixation for the night with me.

Meanwhile, I have always been fascinated with the works of São Paulo-based photographer Nadia Maria since I first discovered and eventually wrote about them. Upon finishing everything, I realized that there's an elegant darkness in her photos that would perfectly complement my poems. 

Without further ado, I present four love stories that can happen only at night.

From Nadia Maria's voz series

At Night

For the first time in years
I've learned how to sleep in the dark again.
I lie on my back, half-naked
Feeling the sheets as if they're your arms around me.
In the faintest of light from the window
I see your outline next to me
and I watch the rise and fall of your breathing.
Then, a blink takes you away.

It's always when we can't see
that we feel so much.


From Nadia Maria's inspirame series

Star Mapping

Bathed in darkness and clothed in stars,
we lie wide-eyed on the sand.

We look up at the flickers of blue and white,
and I hear you say, "Connect the dots 
like child's play among the gods."
I point at Orion poised to strike 
an unseen prey; you turn your gaze
at Polaris instead.

We watched the rest 
dance around the north's brightest.

We map their spots
We draw their lines
We conjure illusions
But their paths are never ours.


From Nadia Maria's Petala series

The Witching Hour

3 a.m.

I light a candle for
each nagging question,
secret wish, and fervent prayer.

I stand in the circle of flames 
that flicker, dance, and shiver
at my errant steps.

My restless sighs, ragged breaths
permeate and punctuate the ungodly hour.
The clock is ticking, time won’t wait

so I utter the words that 
will cast a spell to bewitch you,
charm and beguile you.

“May the gods that hold power
over these darkest hours
heed my ardent prayer

and bring to heel the stubborn lover
whose heart and mind
I cannot conquer.”


3am by Nadia Maria

At Night (Reprise)

We both find solace 
in the dead of night
in the calm that heightens 
senses and grips our minds.

Our paths converge
in the dark of night.
Time melts, distance fades
dreams come without the shut-eye.

At night, the world is still
and there is nothing but you and I.

* * *

Editor's Note: This feature is a part of our "black" theme, November Nocturne. To share your work on Parallel Planets, click here to know what we're currently looking for. You may also read more from Joy Celine Asto.


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.