PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Lisa Prank in Aural Audibles: Crush on the World

A Parallel Planets piece by Tomi Uysingco

Parallel Planets presents Lisa Prank
in Aural Audibles Series: Crush on the World
Music Review by Tomi Uysingco

Mentioned: trapper keeper pop punk, Sheena was a punk rocker, and cuddles

* * *

It was late in the afternoon and it's raining outside. I was playing Katawa Shoujo alone in my room while chain smoking in the dark. Believe me, I know how sad that sounds. Just as I was about to kill myself, the homegirl Erin, Parallel Planet's founder and editor-in-chief, saves me with a short message on Facebook. It was a link to Lisa Prank's Crush on the World EP and the words “review?” right next to it. Can't say it didn't come just at the right time. Thanks universe!

When I pushed play at Lisa Prank's Bandcamp page, I was awash with so much fun and fuzzy bubblegum punk that I can't help but exclaim to no one in particular that this record makes me feel hella young and nostalgic. Its fuzziness and lo-fi aesthetics invoke years in my past that I would all to happily relive again in a heartbeat. These things have been done in the past – short and catchy punk songs dripping with pop sensibilities – because it authentically sounds like it came from that past, 4-track recorder included.


Lisa Prank is spearheaded by one woman with a guitar and a drum machine, Robin Edwards of garage punkers Lust-Cats of the Gutters (who found their Self-titled album released in a cassette by the amazing Burger Records). If you know her band, her music as Lisa Prank would not come as a surprise to you. She adopts her bands' lo-fi and garage tinged leanings, but changing it up to a more girlish, high school love affair. Remember Sheena, the punk rock girl in that Ramones song? That might as well be Lisa Prank – something that band The Donnas wanted to sound like but can't pull off.

Robin calls her music trapper keeper pop punk and that description is beyond apt. This is a record that you'll put on while spooning with a Marshpillow (you know, Lily's Marshall shaped pillow in How I Met Your Mother), or if you're one of the lucky ones, an actual human being that may even like you. You opt to stay in and cuddle instead of going out because there are rain showers happening even if it's summer and it's hot. You'll listen to these songs and eventually find yourself talking about how you first met and it ends with the both of you drawing cute, little cats on each other's skin. Someone in a review called it cuddlecore once, and I can't really agree more.


I swear, it's well worth it. It did save me, even for a short while, from this dating sim where you woo handicapped girls. It made me face real life and I came out unscathed, so that's ultimately beyond cool. Order the limited edition cassette of the EP out on Brooklyn/New Jersey indie label That Summer Fling or download it on her Bandcamp for a name-your-price tag. Do it!

More from Lisa Prank: BandCamp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.