PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Hysteric Picnic: Dancing in Delirium

A Parallel Planets piece by Unknown

Parallel Planets presents Hysteric Picnic
in Dancing in Delirium
Story and Video by Erin Emocling

Mentioned: finding Home in Shibuya, a split reincarnation of Ian Curtis, and some good old ultra-violence

* * *

For the past three months since I flew away from Manila, I’ve been all sorts of sober. Friends to smoke with: zero, live gigs: nil, other vices: nada, and sex: forget about it. But if you consider getting high on gyoza while doing a marathon of Tadanobu Asano films during the freezing winter cold as the new black, then you could probably say that I’ve been all sorts of stoned for the past three months since I came here in Tokyo.

My three-month streak of just being a big tourist and always getting lost in translation has got to end sometime soon, though. I had to explore Tokyo more. I’ve been meaning to go to the live houses around the Metropolis but it was only last Saturday when I finally got to be in one. I was with a girl friend from Manila, who was awesome enough to brave the sketchy, yet loverly, streets of Shibuya with me while we were a bit buzzed from drinking mugs of highball at a random happy hour pub. After hours of catching up under the rain, occasionally getting lost, and then being rescued by her sometimes wonky GPS, we were able to find Home in Shibuya (no pun intended).

I insisted that my friend and I watched this particular gig mainly because Hysteric Picnic was playing. Ever since I missed their other show with Abikyokan last January 12, I’ve been stalking Tokyo Gig Guide for their new shows. Compared to the usual gigs that I used to frequent in Manila, everything in the room was quite the opposite: no familiar faces, I only understood fragments of the language everyone was speaking, the show started sharply on time. And it felt really scary-great, knowing that I'm miles away from my comfort zone back home.

A short flashback, though—Hysteric Picnic is one of those bands who, at my first listen, instantly triggered a special kind of pheromones in my ears. The first time I checked them out online, I found myself hysterically (for the lack of a more appropriate adverb) drawn into “Tonight,” the only song on their Bandcamp from their self-titled 5-track EP from 2011. I hit play and I effortlessly drifted into the track's catchy, pulsating intro, then it suddenly drowned me into a sea of noise and vocals, and then it swiftly swayed me back into the same soothing pulse again. Then it occurred to me: I needed to see them live.

Hysteric Picnic, killing it! || photo by Erin Emocling

Soh, or So, Oouchi and Shigeki Yamashita are Hysteric Picnic, a new wave duo from Tokyo, Japan. They are highly likened to Joy Division and The Jesus and Mary Chain but, of course, one can easily assume that that’s just a generalized impression about all post-punk bands these days. But this tantric two-piece is not just an urban legend. The minute I saw them step on the measly stage, I really thought I was staring into a split reincarnation of Ian Curtis—even their attires and gestures were reminiscent of the man, hence, the subtitle of this story.

They were the third band that night: first was Buddy Girl and Mechanic, next was Jebiotto, and the fourth and last one was Miu Mau. (Note: I might write another story on one of these bands so stay tuned!) When I heard and saw Hysteric Picnic play live (as a four-piece) right before my blurry eyes, I was subconsciously giving myself a victorious pat on the back because I know I was in the right place. I was torn between watching them with full intent and video-recording them as they tore the night apart so I could replay the scene whenever I want to because who knows when I’ll catch them live again?

Luckily, I was able to record “Tonight” on video. The lights in the confined space of Home were drastically toned down so you could only sense Hysteric Picnic through the loud music they were emitting. Maybe I'm being biased with the instrument of love here, but I really liked how the bass lines just resonated atop all the layers of industrial noises during their set. I swooned!

So naturally, right there and then, it sank all over me again that: Hey Erin, you are in Japan. If you were still doing the same thing four or five years ago, you'd be fucking envious of your present self. Make the most out of it! So yeah, somehow, it came upon me that I win at life and all I needed was some good old ultra-violence that is live music. ありがとうございました。

And as for you, dear Earthling, why don’t you treat yourself and watch this Hysteric Picnic video (albeit visually wrecked) so you would get a clearer grasp of what I’ve been babbling about with the past 700 words and counting. You can thank me later.


Want more? Of course, you do! You're in luck because Hysteric Picnic has just released "Cult Pops," their mini album from Call And Response Records. Keep your eyes and ears on them. They're going to make it big real soon. I promise.

More from Hysteric Picnic

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.